591 Bluewater Rd, Aynor, SC 29511, United States

Phone (843) 358-6877

August 2014 Open Meeting Summary 08012014

July 21, 2016

Tribal Open Meeting Summary 8/1/2014 held at the Tribal Office in Aynor, SC

 

  1. CoC Scott, CM’s Homer, Dalton, Susan, John, and Rick present.

  2. July Minutes read

    1. Dalton motioned to accept; Homer seconded

    2. Homer-yes, John-yes, Susan-yes, Rick-yes, Dalton-yes, Scott-yes

  3. Financial Report: Alan

    1. General Fund

      1. Deposits: $1465.00  Debits: $1652.52   Balance: $12,844.65

      2. Error on TN trip math: not $902, was $949.40

    2. Building Fund

      1. Deposits: $525.00 Debits: $0.00 Balance: $1600.00

  4. Online Votes

    1. 7/22 Tractor Parts

      1. Homer-yes, John-yes, Susan-yes, Rick-yes, Dalton-yes, Scott-yes

  5. Old Business

    1. Inactive Membership List

      1. Dalton motioned to remove ID’s #040 on Monthly Report Query dated 7/11/2014

        1. Homer-yes, John-yes, Susan-yes, Rick-yes, Dalton-yes, Scott-yes

    2. Elder’s Decision on Elections

      1. Candidate qualifications:

        1. Will they go in effect this year?

        2. Dalton: 1st paragraph: need to spell out who decides who makes contributions

          1. Chief Hatcher/ Dalton: suggest Council of Elders

        3. 2nd Chief Iris: 2nd Paragraph: our resolution holds felons can hold office after 5 years

          1. Dalton: who decides pardon?

            1. Scott: judge; to put you back in good standing

          2. John: need to define offense

        4. John: 3rd Paragraph: should person be appointed if not member for 2 years?

          1. Chief Hatcher: no

          2. Dalton: However, Elders can’t infringe on Chief’s appointment powers

          3. Should paragraph be eliminated?

            1. Someone who just turned 18 not really active until 18, so couldn’t run

            2. Eliminate

        5. John: 4th Paragraph: could we grandfather current members?

          1. If the people want a member back in office, they’ll vote that way

          2. Scott: Eliminate paragraph

      2. Official Ballot

        1. Chief: completely revamp

        2. Revisit over pre-stamped envelopes

      3. Intention of Candidacy

        1. Eliminates letter of intent

          1. Susan/ Scott: only basic information

          2. Not for newsletter use (those are optional)

        2. Dalton: 5th paragraph: need to specify that it be a designated representative of Election Committee

          1. Susan: Should all Elders have to agree that a person can run?

            1. Designated representative will also sign letter of intention

          2. Susan: how will this affect this year’s election?

            1. Dalton: shouldn’t affect this year

            2. Susan: Clarify: this won’t happen until next election

              1. Scott/ Dalton: yes

          3. John: is Aug 15 enough time?

            1. Chief Hatcher: yes

      4. Election Commission

        1. Dalton: section: Who Can Run For Office- needs to be same as candidacy page

          1. Chief Hatcher: also need to add “in good standing”

        2. Elder Doug: section: Who serves on election commission

          1. Should also say “women”

            1. Chief Hatcher/ Scott: strike that line completely

        3. Dalton: Section: What About a tie breaker

          1. Change to “Parliamentarian breaks all ties”

          2. John suggested striking section completely

        4. Dalton: Section: Are there disqualifications?

          1. Change committed to convicted

          2. Add: pardon by judge

        5. Dalton: Section: Who can vote

          1. Strike “core”

          2. Rick: what if someone resigns or has a leave of absence?

            1. Scott: LoA not same thing

            2. Rick: what if I need to be gone 6 months; should I resign?

              1. Scott: between you and your oath of office

        6. Chief: add to end: as long as they comply to rules contained herein

        7. Section: How To Vote

          1. Strike “voting booth”- too late to do after Pauwau

            1. Dalton: or change to: “ballot box in office”

        8. Section: When do ballots need to be received

          1. Change date of counting or postmark date

          2. Susan: which Elders are going to run booth at Pauwau

            1. 2nd Chief Iris: don’t think it should be in conjunction with Pauwau

            2. Alan: let them bring ballot to Pauwau

            3. John motioned to keep it as a mail ballot & eliminate Pauwau ballot; Susan seconded

              1. Homer-yes, John-yes, Susan-yes, Rick-yes, Dalton-yes, Scott-yes

            4. Chief to rework this area

          3. Send ballots to Parliamentarian?

    3. Trademark

      1. Susan: still working on it

  6. New Business

    1. Committee Reports

      1. Arts & Crafts: Neal

        1. Elected officers; Neal to chair, Susan to co-chair, Sonya as secretary

        2. Rick Hudnall: approved certification

        3. Meetings are quarterly & open

        4. Little late for tribal booth at Pauwau this year

          1. Would like for committee to have booth next year

        5. 2nd Chief Iris donated gourd for museum

        6. Would like tribal art to have tribal logo tag

        7. Need to work on nature trail

        8. Will start art classes after Pauwau

          1. Susan will hold feather classes

        9. Certifications: Darlene, 2nd Chief Phil, Chief Hatcher, Rick (pending completed application- needs to attach pictures)

        10. Chief Hatcher: would like pool of tribal items to buy from for dignitaries

          1. Lots of people without feathers; needs to be done

            1. Neal: would like each artist to do 2-3

          2. 2 museums to display our art

      2. Grants: Michelle

        1. Still looking into Housing Repair grants

      3. Buildings & Grounds: John

        1. Cemetery fund: $410

        2. Lawnmower too wide; looking at small one

        3. Crucial projects: office

          1. Cool seal: $716.32 to Glen Turner check 598

            1. John motioned; Rick seconded

            2. Homer-yes, John-yes, Susan-yes, Rick-yes, Dalton-yes, Scott-yes

        4. RV project: Chris Hatcher to bring backhoe to remove trees

        5. Idea of Purchasing a new building: $45k

        6. Idea to make money: sell food at Pauwau

          1. Have cooks & servers if Pauwau committee approves

        7. Suggest Council Work Day 3rd Sat. of month; Susan seconded

          1. Need 4CM’s there

          2. Put proposals online within 5 days

          3. Homer-yes, John-yes, Susan-yes, Rick-yes, Dalton-yes, Scott-yes

          4. First one: 8/16/2014 from 2-6pm

        8. Need a complaint forum: embrace criticism

          1. Scott: let me know if you want to be on agenda

      4. Pauwau: Susan

        1. Drafts back on billboards

        2. On schedule with timeline

        3. Flyers here; tri-folds next

        4. Last day for ads and articles for program book: 8/15/2014

          1. Chief Hatcher: why cutoff date of 8/15?

            1. Susan/ Michelle: to get it in book, to/ from printer, to Council for approval

        5. Doing a couple River Talk interviews

        6. Johnnie F: send letter to Public Affairs company for non-profits

      5. Pump Project: Chief Hatcher

        1. Commitment letters to go out with newsletter

        2. Can’t sign letter with GSW&S: lien on land is against the law

        3. $4630: have to pay upfront or scrap project

      6. Drum: Rick

        1. Tried to get in touch with Andy to purchase cd’s

        2. 8/23: McKissick Museum: 10a-4pm

        3. Interested in learning, let him know

        4. Living Village with tipis

        5. Store to sell items

        6. Community group to help with recognition/ help from others

    2. CoC Scott: problem with Dalton’s seat: ran in wrong year

      1. Elders suggested Dalton resign, Council accept him coming back & reinstate

      2. Parl. Steve’s email read by Chief Hatcher

      3. Executive Order: reappointed Dalton to seat

    3. Resolution: DH-08-01-2014-001: Waccamaw Bucks Changes: 1st Reading

      1. Chief Hatcher: example: committee heads have to turn list in

        1. Michelle: not necessarily; it can be done individually, but still has to be signed off on by committee heads

    4. Fuel Receipt: $106.26 Check 599

    5. 2nd Chief Iris

      1. 316 voting members: 86 Noncore; 230 Core; 72.5%

    6. Chief Hatcher

      1. NAAC Meeting: 7/18

        1. Was informed by Chief Chavis that a closed door meeting was held at CMA

          1. All groups now have until certain date to become recognized or fade out

          2. Not the way it was originally submitted; want grandfather clause

      2. Pauwau: Santee: 9/20

        1. BIA Lower Nations: 9/27

      3. Youth Group: Hayes: play games that help children learn culture

      4. Membership Agreement for Associate Members rewritten

        1. To email Council

      5. TN Trip math error: $50.60 received

      6. Name given to Johnnie F: Sister of the Big Waters

    7. CoC Scott: Jessica wants to get married on grounds in private ceremony

 

 

 

Susan motioned to close the meeting; Dalton seconded.

Meeting adjourned 8:45 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Michelle Hatcher on 8/27/14 at 2:30 pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Recent Posts

Please reload

Archive

Please reload

Tags

Please reload