591 Bluewater Rd, Aynor, SC 29511, United States

Phone (843) 358-6877

June 2019 Open Meeting Summary

June 27, 2019

Tribal Open Meeting Summary 6/7/2019  held at the Tribal Office in Aynor, SC

  1. CM’s Dalton, Alan, Susan, John, and Marion present. 2C Cheryl led the meeting. Elders Ronnie and Avalene present. 2C Cheryl present.

  2. Financial Report

    1. General Fund: $7,795.33

    2. Building Fund: $450.55

  3. Online Votes

    1. 5/24: Accept May meeting summary with change

      1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-abstain

    2. 5/30 Proposal SHH-05-30-2019-001: Give donated van to Donnie

      1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

    3. 5/30:  Exception to policy: JR-HH-05-03-2019-001: Appointment of Waccamaw Genealogist

      1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

  4. Old Business

    1. Donnie’s AC

      1. Duct work still needs to be done

  5. New Business

    1. Receipts

      1. Susan H: Fishing Day Supplies: $55.97 Check 747

        1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

      2. Fuel: Sunhouse: $81.17 Check 748

        1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

      3. Glenn C: Business Cards/ Dance Circle: $538.03 Check 749

    2. Committee Reports

      1. Buildings & Grounds: Glenn C

        1. Work Day 6/8 weather permitting

          1. Plumbing to be done

          2. 2C Cheryl: move fish food

            1. Put it in trailer

              1. Glenn C: could gain more moisture

              2. 2C Cheryl: need a solution to keep rats  from getting into it

                1. Glenn C: ziploc bags would sweat

              3. Susan H: we’ve had the food for  years; we should dump it

                1. Glenn C: Donnie thinks that’s what killed the  fish

                  1. Marion C: Dump it in woods

                  2. John T: dump it in grass

                2. John T: need a mandate that all food in the refrigerator is properly contained

                  1. 2C Cheryl: and in freezer; deer meat needs to go

        2. Arts & Crafts: Susan H

          1. Found more related emails to send to Tribal Council

          2. 2C Cheryl: talked to Chris H, who said he submitted application

            1. Told him that Council was taking it over

            2. Susan H: his and Jeri Hunter’s

            3. Send applications in with pictures of items: must be accessible & not have to download an app to open the file

          3. 2C Cheryl: any more art classes?

            1. Susan H: thinking about it; Mathea discussed doing moccasins

            2. 2C Cheryl: received an email from Franklin Ellis requesting artisans to teach Intercultural and Inclusion Student Services (IISS) group: Nov 14 at 6pm 

              1. Dalton: put on Facebook requesting artisans; changed to just email

              2. Email from Mr Ellis  send to Michelle to send out

                1. Michelle: Make Susan th point of contact?

                  1. Susan/ Alan: put her email down

              3. Alan F:  will build a relationship with them if we can do it; artisans should be tribal members

          4. 2C Cheryl: HGTC  declined our fundraiser at this time; the fall is really busy for the school

          5. John T: do applications (art) go to Susan?

            1. Susan H: technically to 2C Phil

              1. John T: make Susan the point of contact for Tribal Council on art applications

        3. Pauwau: Michelle/ Dalton

          1. Sell Tidal Wave Tickets

            1. Susan H: extended  through Tuesday, 6/11

              1. Dalton/ 2C Cheryl: reconcile and do again

          2. 2C Cheryl: HGTC fundraiser: sent full proposal; it was reviewed

            1. They can’t commit at this time per email

            2. Received call from Human Resources: Diversity & Inclusion Council

              1. They want 2C Cheryl to attend the meeting

              2. Sounds like they will move us in  slowly

          3. Continue selling ads

          4. Looking for volunteers for Pauwau

          5. Submit stories/ pictures  for next year’s book today

          6. Meetings are the second Thursday of each month at 6pm, unless noted otherwise

          7. Lindsey needs Photoshop:  $30/ month

            1. Susan H: saw one for $10/ month for 1 PC

            2. Need authorization to do it and for 3-4 month increments (stop/ start as needed)

              1. Dalton motioned; Marion seconded to authorize purchase for 3-4 months at a time

                1. Glenn C: annual plans; paid monthly

                2. Susan H: Business one is $80/ month per license with annual plan

                3. Dalton H: Lindsey is willing to pay half

                4. Dalton H: see a business plan that is $33.95 paid monthly, 1 license

                5. John T: add to PW budget

          8. Dalton H: need a credit card reader: square or something similar

            1. Glenn C: Square is universal

              1. John T: how much is it?

                1. Glenn C: item is free; transactions are 2.75%

                  1. Ideally, we would need 3 units

              2. Dalton H: motion to link them to our main bank account; Susan seconded

                1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

              3. Susan H: move modem back to center office instead of copying room

                1. Internet doesn’t reach well to porch/ Chief’s RV spot

                2. Glenn C: metal roof also interferes with reception

                3. Charles H:: can we get a larger tower?

                  1. Glenn C: repeater: $30-1000,  depending on tier

                  2. 2C Cheryl: $85/month

                  3. Glenn C: that’s tier 1

                  4. Move modem to window; Glenn C thinks he has a repeater we can test

        4. Drum: Marion/ Alan

          1. Nothing new

          2.   No practice

          3. Drum needs to be re-stringed: 1/2 in. at 90-100 ft

            1. Glenn C: $60  for 70 ft; need it but suggest waiting

              1. Dalton H: will put $20 towards it

    3. Census 2020: Susan

      1. Went to symposium; they want to hire Native Americans

        1. Recruiting for many positions

        2. They are temporary jobs with flexible hours

      2. Looked at 2010 census to see how we answered questions

        1. American Indian, Waccamaw Indian, SC

          1. Send email and make it consistent

      3. American Community Survey (ACS): 24 pages, but you may not need to fill them all out

        1. Fill out information for everyone in your household up to 9 people

        2. Goes out randomly- please fill it out- Susan will help you

      4. uscensus.gov/mytribalarea

        1. 2013-2017:: population: 52 in SC

        2. Shows Male/ Female, Age, Employment Data

        3. Important for Medicaid, number of representatives in Congress

      5. Response outreach mapper: makes it easier to identify people in small areas

      6. 2020: can do on PC, paper, and by phone

      7. They are targeting areas that don’t get counted as much

      8. Got maps & need to mark areas where it is predominantly Native American

      9. Put Waccamaw Indians SC on forms

    4. 2C Cheryl

      1. CoC Rick wanted to allow scouts to camp for free as a pilot program

        1. They will provide their own port-a-potties

        2. Susan: need disclaimer on form about liability

      2. Suggest running a canteen out of the office

        1. Health-conscious  food, gatorade

      3. Donnie has keys to van per Chief Hatcher

      4. NeonCRM: program to sync with Quickbooks, Database

        1. Create projects, volunteer lists

        2. Publish to website & Facebook,  send mass emails

        3. People can make membership  fee payments

        4. Not limited to the number of users, but only 10 can be on at once

          1. $110/ month ($1320/yr)

            1. Elder Doug  donated $360

            2. Chief Hatcher agreed to 30/month

            3. 2C Cheryl & Marie agreed to $25/month

          2. 2C Cheryl motioned to use Neon CRM for max of 1 year (paid  for) & if it sustains itself/ people use it, tribe to pick up cost; John seconded

            1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

          3. Use a prepaid card for payment

          4. Susan suggested adding the Neon cost to the building fund

            1. Glenn C suggested creating a new bank account

            2. Elder Standingbear: if I write a check for the Buildings & Grounds fund, where  does it go?

              1. Michelle: to the Buildings & Grounds account if it’s in the memo line

          5. Doing a phone conference on 6/11 with Mr. Hawkins  for more information

    5. Marion C

      1. June 22: Summer Solstice, 6:06 am sunrise

        1. Susan H: Can we plan the next  2?

          1. Marion C: sent letter to CoC Rick

            1. Glenn C: they’re on the calendar here in the office

    6. Resolution: JR-HH--05-03-2019-001: Appointment of Waccamaw Genealogist: 3rd reading

      1. Fix spelling & page layout errors & reprint

        1. John-yes, Dalton-yes, Susan-yes, Alan-yes, Marion-yes

    7. Charles H: good job to Council

 

John motioned to close the meeting; Alan seconded.

Meeting adjourned at 8:54 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Michelle Hatcher on 6/27/2019 at 1:19 am. 

 

 

Please reload

Recent Posts

Please reload

Archive

Please reload

Tags

Please reload