Recent Posts

Archive

Tags

July 2019 Meeting Summary


Tribal Open Meeting Summary 7/12/2019 held at the Tribal Office in Aynor, SC

  1. CM’s Dalton, Alan, Susan, John, Marion, and Rick present. 2C Cheryl present.

  2. Financial Report

  3. General Fund: $7,623.78

  4. Building Fund: $450.55

  5. Online Votes

  6. 6/27 Accept June Summary

  7. Alan-yes, Marion-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-absent

  8. Old Business

  9. Donnie’s AC: ductwork incomplete

  10. New Business

  11. Receipts

  12. Fuel: $76.43 Check 751

  13. Committee Reports

  14. Buildings & Grounds: Glenn C

  15. Work Day 7/13- bleachers

  16. Asked Chief for letterhead

  17. Arts & Crafts: nothing new

  18. Pauwau: Michelle & Dalton

  19. SCAC is giving us $4000 to help with the Pauwau

  20. Bleachers request: allow Glenn C to work on them now before budget is approved

  21. Marion motioned, Dalton seconded to allot up to $350 for bleacher work

  22. Alan-yes, Marion-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  23. Square: 3 ordered; Cost $21.60

  24. Glenn C will also allow us to use his

  25. Can send email receipts if people want on during Pauwau

  26. Sill need: volunteers, ads, stories/ pictures for program book

  27. John T: can we do ads on the website?

  28. Dalton: it would be fine; have to get in touch with Doug

  29. John T: was thinking more of a list of supporters with their website link

  30. Dalton: put it on the Facebook event and all who click the even will be able to click the links

  31. Patty B: up to when will you take money?

  32. Dalton: through the Pauwau

  33. Michelle: if you want it in this year’s book, 8/15

  34. John T: my wife may be interested in helping with the website

  35. Need to update Tribal Council on the website

  36. John T: thoughts on something going on before Grand Entry?

  37. Susan: always things to do before Grand Entry: games, stories, survival skills

  38. Susan: 4 RV spots left

  39. Glenn C: Ms. Tina mailed her application today; she will be here

  40. Chief Hatcher: have you done anything about food vendor pricing for Pauwau?

  41. Susan: it’s on the application to send us their menu with prices

  42. Drum: nothing new

  43. Susan: the UMC will give us $500 for the drum

  44. Elder Doug asked to use the office 8/10 for family reunion

  45. Dalton motioned; Alan seconded to allow Elder Doug to use the office for free on 8/10

  46. Alan-yes, Marion-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  47. 2C Cheryl

  48. Financial Report

  49. Need to show money for Neon

  50. Resend deposit slips 6/4-6/21

  51. Dalton: what’s happening with our retainer?

  52. 2C Cheryl: we have to ask for it

  53. Rick motioned; Dalton seconded to ask the lawyer for the retainer back

  54. Alan-yes, Marion-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  55. HH-VCC-06-12-2019-001: Hunka Membership Management: 1st Reading

  56. 2C Cheryl: it’s at the discretion of the Chief if they receive a card

  57. Glenn C: the card says they have no privileges

  58. Patty B: wouldn’t give them a card

  59. Rick H: think a card implies membership

  60. 2C Cheryl: would give them a certificate & have a ceremony

  61. Chief Hatcher: want to establish all Chiefs conferring on hunka memberships

  62. NeonCRM

  63. Marie is almost through the files

  64. Some don’t have a date for when their ID card was removed

  65. Expired cards as of 8/13/2012 should be inactive

  66. Dalton H: Inactive is 90 days & then removed (retired) if nott fixed

  67. Deceased Numbers should be retired

  68. Need a policy on membership status

  69. Dalton: status list: active, inactive, retired (includes deceased), resigned

  70. If someone loses their number because of status, they will get a new number

  71. John T: I think deceased should be its own category because their spirit is still part of the tribe

  72. Marion C: if someone loses their membership, do you throw the file away?

  73. Dalton/ 2C Cheryl: no, we keep them forever

  74. Susan: we keep the actual file

  75. Starla: what is the definition of good standing?

  76. Dalton: up to date on dues, no under an order from Tribal Judge

  77. Dalton to write a letter out with list of statuses:

  78. Active: current

  79. Inactive: problem with 90 days to fix

  80. Resigned: didn’t fix problem with Inactive status or voluntarily resigned

  81. Retired: Were a member who passed on

  82. Judgement: under order from Judge

  83. Neon CRM is in process of being set up; first is membership

  84. Set up payment processor; fee: credit cards 2.6% + 0.30/transaction

  85. Check draft: 1% +$1/ transaction

  86. Set up as a valid non-profit

  87. Susan: do we have to be linked to Quickbooks?

  88. 2C Cheryl: it syncs to Quickbooks, but Dori isn’t using Quickbooks

  89. Dalton: see if we can use Square as our processor

  90. 2C Cheryl: read samples from list; Square isn’t on it

  91. Dalton: use current database structure

  92. Patty B: another genealogy class 8/4, 9/15 at 1pm

  93. 2C Cheryl: Indigeonous Women’s Alliance: cooking BBQ 9/7

  94. Is everyone ok with women drumming?

  95. No complaints voiced

  96. Chief Hatcher

  97. Patty, are you going to go back & certify the core people?

  98. Patty B: I can

  99. Chief: I will have you look at Hatcher & Dimery books

  100. All additions will go through Patty B

  101. Patty B: I have research on paper, Susan will check for errors, then I will compile on big genealogy book of core

  102. Chief Hatcher: we need to put book numbering on ID too

  103. Chief Hatcher: what about non-core?

  104. Patty B: you don’t need anything; just keep % 's right

  105. Chief Hatcher: would like Starla V & Patty B to keep count of core/ non-core percentage

  106. Susan suggested going back to 2017 & give people 6 months to fix expired cards

  107. Allow them to pay past dues & we will renew the card

  108. Patty B: I’ve seen it work some in libraries

  109. Chief Hatcher: we don’t have a historian doing work; we need an active one creating articles

  110. Rutland/ Chavis Cemetery in Norway, SC

  111. Around 1864, a man was buried on his own land and then more people were buried there with stones to mark the graves

  112. About 2 years ago, Mr. Barr bought the land. His house overlooked the graves, so he bulldozed them down

  113. Pat Hallman’s relatives are buried there & he’s now stopped from going to the cemetery

  114. State law says it’s a felony to desecrate a graveyard

  115. 2C Cheryl: H3806, 2019, session 123, Gilliard et al

  116. Preservation of cemeteries

  117. It’s illegal to stop people from visiting a cemetery

  118. 501c (3) can do business with surplus stores

  119. Unless you’re Native, then you have to live on a reservation

  120. Award: Carolina Celebration of Freedom

  121. Need to write letters about issues we care about

  122. Letter should say you are a citizen

  123. Dalton: use billboards if not too expensive

  124. Gov. McMaster: we were supposed to meet, but his advisors/ staff said he had a meeting with NAACP, Hispanics, but wouldn’t have time for use

  125. Marie & Starla V did lots of work; found wrong addresses in files

  126. Call people; send letters: John T, Marie, Starla

  127. 2C Cheryl: Neon CRM will send mail merge with individual names on letters

  128. Susan: use Facebook page/ messenger

  129. Dalton: send mail through tribal secretary

  130. Tubby West passed away

  131. John T

  132. Rent RV campsites as-is: $35/night

  133. Concerns: credit card payment

  134. Need camping prices on website with pictures

  135. Establish a method of reservation

  136. Email; call to confirm

  137. Need a contact list of people taking reservations

  138. Do a test run

  139. Dalton: talk to a travel agent for advertising

  140. Volunteers: John, Glenn C

  141. Let John know if you’re interested

  142. Pricing: RV & tent

  143. Check on insurance policy

  144. Chief Hatcher: get an attorney to write a letter releasing us of liability

  145. Susan: the only time they can’t be here is during Pauwau

  146. Dalton: or increase the cost during the Pauwau

  147. Glenn C: 14 sites available

  148. John T motioned to move forward with camping and make adjustments as we go; Marion seconded

  149. Alan-yes, Marion-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  150. John to initiate WIP Campground Setup

  151. Chief Hatcher to check on insurance

  152. Rick: do we need a license? Check with county first

  153. Membership Renewal Coordinator

  154. We should be taking in $875/ month in fees; willing to call or email them

  155. Are we willing to remove them for lack of payment?

  156. Dalton: by 8/1, $50/year or $5/ month, no penalty for not paying until renewal date

  157. John: would like a $50 card renewal fee/ 2 years

John motioned to close the meeting; Alan seconded.

Meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Michelle Hatcher on 7/25/2019 at 4:43 pm.

#WorkDay #membership #meeting #minutes

Phone (843) 358-6877

591 Bluewater Rd, Aynor, SC 29511, United States