Recent Posts

Archive

Tags

October 2017 Open Meeting Summary


Tribal Open Meeting Summary 10/06/2017 held at the Tribal Office in Aynor, SC

  1. CM’s John, Mark, Dalton, Susan, Robert, Jeania, and CoC Rick present. Elders Glenn, Dan, Doug, and Ronnie present.

  2. Financial Report

  3. General Fund: $7434.19 (as of 10/5/2017 on CNB site)

  4. Building Fund: $1286.27 (as of 10/5/2017 on CNB site)

  5. Cemetery Fund: $531.26

  6. Online Votes

  7. 9/14 September Minutes

  8. Jeania-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  9. 9/17 Roof repair

  10. Jeania-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  11. 9/20 Sprayer Vote

  12. Jeania-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  13. 10/2 Fix bathroom in tribal office

  14. Jeania-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  15. Thank you to Larry J for his work

  16. 10/2 Postpone Council Work Day

  17. Jeania-yes, Susan-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes, Rick-yes

  18. Old Business

  19. Elder Position

  20. Chief Hatcher: Becky S was recommended and I nominate her

  21. Becky S to be interviewed by Council at December meeting

  22. New Business

  23. Solstice: John T

  24. Wanted to discuss solstice because it’s being done 2 weeks late

  25. Robert: they said a storm was coming

  26. John: then don’t have it 2 weeks late, cancel instead

  27. Rick: I leave it to the Firekeeper

  28. John: should it be his decision?

  29. Rick: yes, he runs it

  30. Dalton: we have no one else to do it. Question is are we going to forbid him from doing it?

  31. John: it’s Council purview; it should be done close to the day of the solstice

  32. Robert: a storm was coming

  33. John: if we were a true Indian tribe, the Firekeeper would still be doing it

  34. Mark: second time it was moved because of a funeral

  35. John: 90% of the tribe didn’t go to the funeral; still could have done it

  36. Rick: Mr. Williams was glad we moved the date

  37. Mark: going forward, it needs to be done close to the date

  38. Robert: a storm was coming

  39. Mark: I understand this one

  40. John: Council should decide on postponement

  41. Rick: Robert, what do you think? Should it be a Council or Firekeeper call?

  42. Robert: it should be the Firekeeper’s call

  43. Dalton: could you call about postponements before postponing?

  44. Robert: yes

  45. Dalton: it’s a religious thing; I, personally, don’t want Council involved

  46. Dalton: to me, it’s letting the Firekeeper use the tribal land and when Council will allow him to use it

  47. John: the fire is part of heritage/ tradition

  48. Dalton: I care about heritage, but don’t want to endorse religion

  49. Chief Hatcher: In ancient times, Firekeeper kept fires going and it wasn’t religious

  50. It should be done on the day it’s supposed to be done

  51. John: a 2-week postponement doesn’t make sense

  52. Rick: you argue we make the day inconvenient and that it’s not always the day of the solstice

  53. Chief Hatcher: Robert could do the religious part at his house on the day of the solstice; a public ceremony can be done later

  54. Elder Doug: it’s a spiritual ceremony, not religious

  55. Jeania: it was understandable for that time; it should be done the day of even it’s just at your home and cancel altogether if it’s going to be late

  56. John: should postponing be a Council decision?

  57. Dalton: I asked that earlier; Robert said yes