January 2017 Open Meeting Summary
Tribal Open Meeting Summary 1/13/2017 held at the Tribal Office in Aynor, SC
CM’s Mark, John, and Robert present. 2nd Chief Cheryl served as a proxy for Susan and Rick; CM Dalton served as ACoC
Condolences to Hank & Phil on passing of Kathy
Oct Minutes read
Mark motioned to accept; Robert seconded
Mark-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, 2nd Chief Cheryl (Susan)-yes, 2nd Chief Cheryl (Rick)-yes, Dalton-yes
Dec Minutes Read
Online vote with 2 changes
5(a)(i) should be Circuit instead of magistrate
5(b)(xii) should be beneficiaries instead of beneficial
[Susan]-yes, 2nd Chief Cheryl [Rick]-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes
Roof: Update: Sampson to finish it by Monday
[Susan]-yes, [Rick]-yes, John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-yes, Dalton-yes
Reimburse Chief Hatcher $500 for Bingo money he put in
John-yes, Robert-yes, Mark-abstain, Dalton-yes
Cemetery Encroachment Update: 2nd Chief Cheryl
Motion quashed because they argued the tribe was a corporation
Notice to creditors has to be done within 8 months of first publication, but statute also says within 1 year of death
Not sure the tribe qualifies as a creditor
Quiet Title Action: judge thought this might be solution
File in Circuit Court with attorney (not self or trustees)
Have until 1/23 to file recording in register of deeds
Elder Doug: do we have a cost from Terry Beverly?
2nd Chief Cheryl: $10k retainer because of litigation
Elder Doug: What about arbitration?
2nd Chief Cheryl: Mediation to resolve it; could lead to adverse possession in 10 years if we do nothing
John: could we give them 0.25 acre & set boundary line with them
2nd Chief Cheryl: I’d suggest that too, but 0.25 acres isn’t worth $10k
Ray: Can attorney put a stop on it & bring it to mediation to get them to abide by mediator’s ruling?
Mark: if we filed, would it put pressure on the boys to work it out?
John: would the lawyer be willing to take payments?
2nd Chief Cheryl: he would take $2k to start, but he wanted to hold off and ask other attorneys
Richard: Mr. James has the same deed as we do, not survey, according to what was said in court
Elder Dan: will the BIA or SCIAC not help?
2nd Chief Cheryl: we’re not under the same protection as federal tribes; state preservation offices maybe?
John: goal is to define the lines; can we hire Beverly to talk to his lawyer?
2nd Chief Cheryl to get back with Council on Wednesday; Council make decisions Thursday/ Friday if necessary
Dalton: we could try the Indian Law Center & our investors
Investor Proposal by John
Would be a promissory note
Dalton: can you do a percentage on a note?
2nd Chief Cheryl: there’s a limit when SEC gets involved; percentages become equal to stocks/ dividends
With flat rate, there’s a limit on the amount you can solicit
John: is there a difference between tribal vs non-tribal?
2nd Chief Cheryl: we’d have to find out
Council to continue discussing this online; tabled to February
Looking at several USDA grants & contacting Ms. Braught for ideas
Meetings are second Thursday of each month
Need collaboration between PW Committee, B&G, Council before changes to circle are made
2017 Chair: Michelle
Buildings & Grounds
Meeting 1/14 at 12pm
Parking Lot & Shuttle: John
Put blurb on FB pages
Ray talked to people in Mooresville to check for interest
Also looked for interest in camping spots
Mark: would need security on grounds if camping
2nd Chief Cheryl
Did a Sample Segmentation from Saturday
Shows breakdown of ages
Need to revise to add Sunday numbers
Need to revise the demographics form slightly
Need to have Veteran’s Ceremony every year
Address at Pauwau meeting
Sometimes we run out of feathers; sometimes people don’t know where to go to get them
Mark motioned to close the meeting; Robert seconded.
Meeting adjourned 7:38 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Michelle Hatcher on 1/30/17 at 2:42 pm.